|shortbread cookie recipe
This recipe makes 3 dozen cookies, but I make small, 1.5" cookies and this recipe will make around 7 doz. You will need a large, heavy-duty stand-up mixer to make the entire recipe at once. Freezes well.
3 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or lemon extract
6 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/8 teaspoon salt
- Beat butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine flour and salt, gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut with 2 1/2 inch round cutter or Christmas cookie cutter.
- Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Use your SILPAT if you have one.
- Bake at 275 for 50 minutes, or until bottoms begin to brown. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet; remove to wire rack to cool completely.